Friday 1 June 2012

Does Absence make the Heart grow Fonder?

For those who have tuned into my blog site looking for daily inspiration and sadly found an empty page...my apologies. I was in London all day yesterday in and out of meetings and had to catch up on sediting my second book in the "Temporal Detective Agency" series Trouble with Swords (name dropping advertiser that I am!). By the way it's definitely a series now, because there's two of them! Books that is!
So here I am, back at the blogging keyboard before I have to do some ironing (yes, I do the ironing) and make the tea. What shall we talk about?
Absence? Good idea!
If absence makes the heart grow fonder, what is about the absence that creates the fondness? I can accept that if you expect something to happen or a person to be in a particular place...but there's a big hole then the heart might skip a beat and you miss whatever / whoever should have been there, because they're not. Or maybe it's a feeling of being miffed.
It could also be down to the two types of memory. Short and long term. From experience (unfortunately) as we get older the short term memory seems to be less and less accurate, whereas we can remember what happened 25 years ago as clear a crystal. I can understand therefore why we might increase our fondness the more an absence transfers into our long-term memory. Equally the pain of  recent separation can be acute, but almost always moves from sorrow into a phase of remembering the good times. The longer the absence then the heart does become fonder.
It might explain why young people see potentially minor happenings as major catastrophies. They haven't yet lived enough years for bad events to have passed into the longer-term memory and be filtered, so everything is climactic.
A quick blog post, and again my apologies to those who logged in earlier. I will blog over the weekend as I dodge between street parties and visiting royals.
Have a great Jubilee Weekend holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment