Thursday 9 August 2012

Things That Move Me, Emotionally

I'm a man, so I shouldn't cry. I.m a member of the stronger (?) sex, but as I get older I begin to doubt. I'm a hunter by nature and provider for my small tribe. So why do some things make me really emotional to the point of tears? Is it the feminine side of me, or is it the fact that I'm a sentimental old fool and getting more so as I get older?

So what gets me going?

1. Seeing someone from Great Britain win a gold medal in the Olympics in this order:-
                  - 10k and 5k metres (got to be Mo)
                  - Horse dressage (could anything be more beautiful)
                  - Rowing (the sheer strength and co-ordinated power of the pairs up to the eights)
                   - Usain Bolt in the 100 and 200 metres (sheer confidence, charisma and capability)
                   - Track cycling (The bowing out of the elder stateman Chris Hoy, and the advent of the wonderful Laura Trott.)
2. Wagner overtures can stir the most rock hard soul.
3. The start of Also Sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss. Best remembered as one of the themes of 2001
4. The thought that my beautiful cocker spaniel Benji, who keeps me company every day and is the best companion any man could have is 12 years old and will be leaving me soon (that actually makes me cry now, so what am I going to be like when the day arrives he's no longer with me?).
5. The love and support of real friends when troubles seem to be piling up impossibly.
6. The size and stability of trees.
7. The delicacy of a flower.
8. My daughter getting married in 2 years time to the most perfect young man.
9. Standing on the farthest point of the Gower Peninsular and watching the sun go down over the Worm's Head.
10. Reading a review from someone who really loved my books.
11. Realising I'm 63 and not 36 and yet there are so many things I want to do and achieve.

So what makes you feel a choke in the throat?

Blog on, Dudes!


No comments:

Post a Comment